10 Household Products That Could Kill Your Dog



We all have a mental list of dangerous items to keep away from Fido, such as chocolate, antifreeze and household cleaning items. But did you know that there are many items that can be harmful (even fatal) to your dog that you may have not even known about? We’ve compiled a list of lesser-known household items that are harmful to dogs. Please SHARE this important list with all of the pet parents you know. 

  1. Fruits and Vegetables
Onions, garlic, mushrooms, grapes, raisins and avocados are just a few of the fruits and veggies that are harmful to Fido. In general, it is the pits, seeds and leaves of these items that can cause stomach irritation – thus your safest bet is to play it safe and avoid these altogether. 

2. Yeast Dough / Unbaked Bread
Dogs have mastered the art of begging, and there’s nothing that makes a dog’s mouth water more than freshly baked items. Although you may be tempted to toss Fido a bit of raw dough when baking, steer clear –unbaked bread or any dough containing yeast can be potentially deadly to your pup, as it can expand in his digestive track and cause a fatal blockage.   

3. Alcohol and Alcohol-Based Products 
Sadly, we’ve all heard stories of careless guys feeding their dog beer. Although it may seem funny to some, an intoxicated dog is no laughing matter. Alcohol and alcohol-based products can cause your pup to experience serious intoxication, leading to coma or death – and the smaller the dog, the higher the risk.

4. Macadamia Nuts
Most of us are unaware just how toxic macadamia nuts are to dogs. As few as six nuts can cause your pup to develop a reaction called macadamia nut toxicosis. Within 12 hours of digesting the nuts, dogs may experience depression, inability to walk, paralysis of hind quarters, elevated heart rate, and muscle tremors. If the macadamia nuts are digested with chocolate, the combination can be deadly. 

5. Xylitol
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in gum, candy, bakery items, toothpaste and diet foods. Ingestion of this sweetener can cause an increase in insulin levels within your pup, leading to a drastic blood sugar drop and potential liver failure.

6. Flowers and Plants
Dogs are curious creatures by nature and love nothing more than to poke around the great outdoors. If you let Fido loose in your backyard and keep a garden, take note – there is a laundry list of plants and flowers that can be toxic to your pup, including lilies, aloe, and ferns. The ASPCA offers up a comprehensive list of plants to avoid.

7. Fat Trimmings, Bones and Bone-In Meats
Although feeding your dog meat scraps and bones may seem like the most natural thing in the world, it can actually be extremely harmful to your pup. The fat trimmed off of meat can cause pancreatitis in dogs, and small pieces of bone may obstruct digestive system and cause lacerations. In other words? Stick to treats made specifically for dogs – and save your table scraps for the trash can. 

Dogs love to chew, but don’t make the mistake of giving them dangerous bones. Our bully sticks are safe and we’ve put them on sale for just $0.99 – Click here to try yummy bully sticks!

 8. Milk
Nothing attracts a dog like a big bowl of ice cream. Unfortunately, milk and other dairy-based products can cause stomach upset in your pup. Additionally, dairy products have been known to be the impetus for other canine food allergies. If you’re looking for a healthy and safe treat that will cool Fido down on a hot summer day, most dogs love ice cubes. If your dog isn’t a fan, most chain grocery stores now carry frozen treats made specifically for pups.  

9. Medicines
If your dog has an ailment, it is important to use treatments designed for dogs only. Human medications such as  Acetaminophen (Tylenol),  Ibuprofen, Cold and Flu Medicine can be potentially fatal to your pup, as it causes damage to the liver and red blood cells.

10. Pest Control Products 
Pest control products such as rat poison, insect repellent, moth balls and pesticides can be extremely dangerous – even deadly – to your pets. Fortunately, there are now many companies specializing in non-toxic methods that are safe for pets and children!


What do you think?