Advertisement

title-icon

Top 5 Holiday Hazards That Can Harm Your Pet!

By

Advertisement

Please LIKE this blog and SHARE with other pet parents you know to spread the word about Holiday Pet Safety!!!

As a special thanks, use code HOLIDAY8 to get $8.00 off orders of $50 or more! CLICK HERE to start shopping!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and of course we want to share our excitement with our precious fur-babies! Here are some Holiday-specific dangers you should keep in mind during the Christmas Season in order to keep your cats and dogs happy and healthy through The New Year!

1. Toxic Christmas Plants

MISTLETOE: Mistletoe is poison for dogs and cats. It can cause significant vomiting and diarrhea, difficulty breathing, collapse, erratic behavior, hallucinations and even death when ingested. If you own a pet, we recommend that you skip the mistletoe, or use fake silk or plastic mistletoe, at your holiday celebration.

PINE NEEDLES: Needles from your Holiday Tree, if consumed, can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, oral irritation, and posterior weakness in both dogs and cats! Vacuum excess pine needles regularly!

HOLLY: If consumed, holly can cause a dog or cat to have an upset stomach and symptoms of depression.

2. Decorative Ribbon & Bows

Earlier this year, PetFlow published a blog warning about the hidden dangers of cats playing with string. Did you know that holiday ribbon can be just as dangerous for both dogs and cats?  

While you may be tempted to create an adorable ribbon collar for your new puppy or kitten, please be aware that this practice could wind up choking your new fur-baby! Also, dogs and cats may try to eat discarded ribbon, which is extremely dangerous. If holiday bows and ribbons are ingested, they may wind up twisted up in your pet’s intestines, a condition that is often fatal.

3. Christmas Tinsel and Ornaments

We’re not saying you CAN’T pose your fur-babies under the tree, we’re just saying to keep a careful eye on them when you do. Tinsel is incredibly appealing to pets – particularly cats, who love shiny things!

If consumed, tinsel can remain lodged in your cats belly and even twist in her intestines, just like ribbon. 

Ornaments also may appear to be excellent chew toys to your dog. Many ornaments are made of aluminum or sharp plastic which could cut your doggy’s mouth or even induce internal bleeding if swallowed.  Mind that your dog doesn’t bite or eat an ornament when he’s near your tree!

4. Holiday Lights & Candles

What would Christmas be without twinkling holiday lights? If your a pet parent to a precocious pup, it’s best to limit the number of lights you wrap around the lower portion of your tree, so that your dog doesn’t get tangled! You don’t want to turn your pooch into a holiday decoration.

Also, be sure to keep all electrical wires and batteries out of paws’ reach. We wouldn’t want your cuddly cutie to suffer from an electrical shock!

You should never leave lighted candles unattended, but this rule is even more important if you own a dog or a cat. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. If you leave the room, put the candle out to avoid such dangers!

5. Holiday Human Foods

Visitors who don’t own pets may be prone to feeding your dog table scraps, even if you keep your pup on a healthy diet. Advise your guests to avoid giving your dog human foods, especially chocolate and most kinds of nuts! For a list of toxins in your home that could harm your dog, please CLICK HERE.

Do you have any other tips for caring for your dog or cat during “the most wonderful time of the year?” Tell us about them in the COMMENTS! 

You must spend at least $50.00 to receive the $8.00 discount! Happy Holidays!

XOXO,

The PetFlow Team

 

What do you think?